Monday, August 31, 2009

Saving Isis: Critical Thinking with Rezzable's Open Sim Tut

The South Wall
Location: Rezzable's Valley of the Kings in Open Sim

On my first tour of Rezzable's Heritage Key site dedicated to King Tut, and when the entire project was quite new, I was taken by the South Wall of the young king's tomb.

It was an immersive moment; I felt that I was as close to the actual site in Egypt as I'd ever get.

Anubis and Hathor greet Tut as he enters the other world, but Howard Carter had to destroy a figure of the goddess Isis (to the left of Anubis, in the image above) as he and this team made their way into the tomb. This struck me as a tragedy that might have been avoided.

With modern technology, we might have been able to plunder (there's no kind word for it) the tomb without destroying Isis' image. So I've decided to let my writing students have a crack at this. They'll work in teams to solve the problem, if they can. And to make their writing "count for something" beyond a grade, I'll have readers I invite vote for the strongest solution to this archeological dilemma.

Read the assignment here. Projects are due Oct. 29 and I'll provide updates and may open up judging the projects to readers here. Meanwhile, my Heritage Key avatar will be bumbling around virtual Egypt, trying to look like the poor man's Indiana Jones...

Room of Swag

No comments: