Friday, November 12, 2010

Virtual Theorists' Project: Meet the Faculty & Students!

Dr. Freud
Location: Talking to Dr. Freud About my Klaus-Kinski Nightmares

If you do not follow the SLED list, you might have missed AJ Kelton's note of this talk / open house. I find the project to be one of the best examples of immersive education in Second Life and it's well worth your time, especially to chat with students who have worked with the build. I've posted before here about my tour of the project (my students in Fall 2008 and 9 also toured and reviewed it).

To quote AJ about the current event:

"Teaching Counseling Theories in Virtual Worlds - Student Perspectives"

Wednesday the 17th, 5:30-7pm eastern time (2:30-4pm SL Time)
SLURL: http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Montclair%20State%20CEHSADP/77/198/23

Edina Renfro-Michel has been teaching counseling theories in virtual worlds for around two years, this event is an opportunity to showcase Edina’ students perspective and the work they have produced.

One of the key elements of Edina’s teaching is to facilitate the students building of environments in Second Life that contain and reflect various counseling theories and their originators. There are now 9 houses built by students, each dedicated to different theories including those of Sigmund Freud, Carl Jung and Carl Rogers.

We will begin with an introduction to the students themselves for about 20 minutes and then use the remaining time to tour the work of the students.

Edina is utilizing a highly innovative learning environment to combine powerful audio and visual resources to help students learn, assimilate and demonstrate complex theoretical propositions.

This event is an opportunity to get to know the students experience of this learning environment.

2 comments:

Edina Renfro-Michel said...

Thank you so much for helping to spread the word about our open house. My students are looking forward to sharing their project!

Iggy O said...

My pleasure. I'm looking forward to attending if I can (runs into my class time).

Let's see what Freud can do with my questions about Klaus Kinski!